26 August 2012

Slow Living

I recently came across Christine's blog over at Slow Living Essentials.  She has challenged herself (and anyone wanting to join her) to be accountable to selected slow living principles and to blog about her progress every month.  I like the idea (and the challenge) so I'm going to try too.  Her categories are: Nourish, Prepare, Reduce, Green, Grow, Create, Discover, Enhance, Enjoy.  Perhaps mine will be slightly different, but it's a good place to start.

Here's my progress for the month of July:

Nourish:
Being Winter, I've been making soup from scratch every week.  Most times the soup has some form of meat in it, but one of our favourite vegetarian soups is Lentil & Vegetable soup.  I made sour-dough rye bread for a few weeks and continue to bake whole-wheat bread every week.

Prepare:
Citrus fruits are all in season now, so Sarah  (daughter no.2) has been helping me make lemon cordial, marmalade and lemon curd.  We stocked up on all the dry pulses at Fargo Trading, i.e. beans, lentils a few weeks ago, and we are still eating from that (we eat vegetarian 4x a week).  The Bean Book by Rose Eliot is still my No.1 vegetarian cookbook for over 20 years!  Every recipe in that book has been a winner in our house.

Reduce:
Plastic bottles are my focus at the moment.  I 'wash & squash' them and collect them in a large drum which is emptied and taken to be recycled.  We have recycling collectors come around on Garbage Day, who rummage through the garbage bins before the truck arrives.  I gave a large sack of said 'squashed bottles' to one, who was very pleased with my contribution, as it saved him a lot of rummaging :-)

Green:
Still using home-made laundry liquid and tried finding an alternative to bleach to whiten the whites.  A cup of lemon juice in the machine works well if you can then hang your washing in the sun to dry.  Since my washing lines are under a roof that didn't work.  A peroxide solution didn't work for me either.  Back to the drawing board on this one.

Grow:
Our Community Garden has continued to produce throughout the winter months, but everything is terribly slow.  Leeks planted in April, are still not ready to pull.  Peas are only just starting to produce.  We are still regularly eating lettuce, spring onions, rocket, spinach and radishes.   In the last week of July we had a few warm Spring-like days, and I sowed one of the seed beds with summer crops.  Since then we've had chilling winter rains and thunderstorms and I'm hoping I wasn't too optimistic.

Create:
I love to crochet (as it's so quick and you can see results fast!) and was thrilled to have finally finished Ruth's (daughter no.1) scarf and beret and even managed to post it to her in time for her birthday this month.  (Thrilled because I started the scarf  LAST winter, and then Spring arrived ... and the garden needed me :-)

Discover:
A friend lent me a pair of circular needles (large and fat ones) and without a pattern, I attempted to knit a round beanie, or should I call it a beanie-in-the-round?  I'm sure there's a more elegant name for this type of knitting, but it's the first time I've ever tried it.  The beanie turned out well.  Now I want to try socks...

Enhance:
The Community Garden has been our on-going project for 3 years.  We spend a few hours every day either working in the food garden or supervising the maintenance of the whole project.  Currently hubby and I are training 2 local people to manage the garden.

Enjoy:
Joshua (grandson no.1) turned 13 and we celebrated the day by playing indoor golf at the Waterfront, followed by a walk in the wonderful Green Point park.

Wow, that wasn't so difficult afterall.  Actually quite fun!  I hope you'll join me?




1 comment:

  1. It's so lovely to have you joining in, Amy! The community garden sounds fabulous. Looking forward to reading more of your updates. :)

    ReplyDelete